Re: Tried and trusted friends

Subject: Re: Tried and trusted friends
From: Geoff Sample <>
Date: Fri, 09 Apr 2004 10:26:59 +0100
> Date: Wed, 07 Apr 2004 17:56:42 -0000
> From: "Rich Peet" <>
> Subject: Re: Tried and trusted friends
>
> This is a risk you run birding in new areas. This happens to all that
> bird in areas that are new.
> Around here everyone knows that the House Sparrows are found begging
> for french frys at McDonalds.  Who would think that there are some
> that like bushes in the riverbeds.

In London, house sparrows have learned to negotiate the doors to the canteen
at the School of African and Oriental Studies. The doors close
automatically, so they have to wait for someone to come in or out and nip
through at the same time. While inside they pick up the crumbs from under
the tables - the sparrows, that is! - and usually once people have just left
the table, rather than around their feet.

I've never seen this elsewhere.
Geoff.

Geoff Sample

Wildsong Studios
Northumberland, UK
http://www.wildsong.co.uk

This month's feature on common frogs:
http://www.wildsong.co.uk/monthly_feature.html

'That land is a community is the basic concept of ecology, but that land is
to be loved and respected is an extension of ethics .... We abuse land
because we regard it as a commodity belonging to us. When we see land as a
community to which we belong, we may begin to use it with love and respect.'
Aldo Leopold