Re: mics for parabola

Subject: Re: mics for parabola
From: Dan Dugan <>
Date: Thu, 8 Apr 2004 19:36:56 -0700
Eric V. Schmidt wrote:

>Hello all;
>
>I just bought a 24" big ear and have a couple of questions from the experts
>here.
>
>What is it good for and what do I have to lok out for in using it.

If it's the rectangular acrylic dish marketed for video use under the
name "Big Ears," I suggest a sturdy tripod. It's heavy.

>I read a couple of posts about the need for wind/ insect covers and loked
>for some others to no avail.
>
>Anyhow what is a good mic to place in the front of the parabola?

A low-noise condensor omni.

>Are there any tricks to mounting it on a stand or handholding it?

The one I evaluated a couple of years ago had no provision for stand
mounting. You'll have to invent that.

>How about taking the sound to videotape (I am a vidiot by profession)?

No problem, plug the mike into the camera.

>I am planing on goint to the mid-west weekend in May and will bring it with
>and hope someone there has some experience ith it too.

That's a good way to learn tips and tricks.

-Dan Dugan