Re: recording and privacy

Subject: Re: recording and privacy
From: Aaron Ximm <>
Date: Thu, 8 Apr 2004 19:17:17 -0700 (PDT)
> Does anyone know of some web resources on legal issues surrounding
> audio recording?  Specifically accidentally or intentially recording

The phrase "reasonable expectation of privacy" comes to mind, but that's
just a neuron firing.

I've always been more interested in the ethical issues myself; as someone
pointed out I believe on the phonography list, legal issues are in almost
every case only likely to come up if someone stands to make money --
either because of copyright issues, or via a lawsuit claiming damages for
some harm.

Of course your question is at the heart of the latter -- but I
wonder, what are the differences here between civil and criminal law?
Ie are there broad categories of "insult" to an individual that are
grounds for damages in a civil suit, even if you don't break any criminal
law...?

How much difference is there from country to country? I'd be curious if
Dallas Simpson had encountered this issue in his own work...

 best,
  aaron

  http://www.quietamerican.org