Re: Field feedback on Senn. 418-S requested

Subject: Re: Field feedback on Senn. 418-S requested
From: "Walter Knapp" <>
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2004 04:06:39 -0000
--- In  Aaron Ximm <>
wrote:

> I'd also be very curious to hear even the informal consensus; I've
been
> very curious whether people think it holds up to the 416. I have
been
> keeping an eye out for the latter on eBay but would definitely
spring for
> the 418-S as much more convenient if it was effectively a 416 plus a
> decent M/S option -- so portable

There is a MKH-60 on ebay right now, currently not a bad price. That's
a better shotgun than the MKH-416. It's what the MKH-418S should have
been based on.

The bigger problem for the MKH-418S is the side mic on it. The mid
appears similar to the MKH-416, but the side is not as good as the
MKH-30. At least by specs and what little comment I've managed to
glean so far. I've had no access to one to try. And feel my M/S
MKH-60/30 is a better rig. Unless Bernie's testing shows otherwise.