Re: Field feedback on Senn. 418-S requested

Subject: Re: Field feedback on Senn. 418-S requested
From: umashankar <>
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2004 06:13:17 -0700 (PDT)
i have not heard the 418, but have looked at the
specs, and i think sennheiser came up with a clever
solution to the side signal.

the side mic does not have the specs of the mid mic
because it does not have to. i saw the math somewhere,
but when the m in the ms mic is a shotgun, you need a
very small contribution from the s mic before the
image breaks up. and when you need a small signal
(compared to the m signal) its noise figure can easily
be much worse without effecting the over all decoded
left right output.have i got that right?

umashankar
 . p.s i have been toying with wiring up a couple of
panasonic cardioid capsules (or even four) in figure
of eight configuration to go with my 416.
--- Walter Knapp <> wrote:
> --- In  Aaron Ximm
> <>
> wrote:
>
> > I'd also be very curious to hear even the informal
> consensus; I've
> been
> > very curious whether people think it holds up to
> the 416. I have
> been
> > keeping an eye out for the latter on eBay but
> would definitely
> spring for
> > the 418-S as much more convenient if it was
> effectively a 416 plus a
> > decent M/S option -- so portable
>
> There is a MKH-60 on ebay right now, currently not a
> bad price. That's
> a better shotgun than the MKH-416. It's what the
> MKH-418S should have
> been based on.
>
> The bigger problem for the MKH-418S is the side mic
> on it. The mid
> appears similar to the MKH-416, but the side is not
> as good as the
> MKH-30. At least by specs and what little comment
> I've managed to
> glean so far. I've had no access to one to try. And
> feel my M/S
> MKH-60/30 is a better rig. Unless Bernie's testing
> shows otherwise.
>
> Walt

>=20

=09