Re: New Sennheiser mic test

Subject: Re: New Sennheiser mic test
From: Lang Elliott <>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2004 18:37:17 -0500
Walt:

Why would you prefer to use the MKH 80, rather than the MKH 60 in combo with
the MKH 30? Is it because you could change the polar pattern of the MKH 80,
thereby adjusting the width of the field of reception?

Lang

From: Lang Elliott <>

> Bernie:
>
> Well, if you have the 418S, and they haven't improved the design, then
> you're dealing with 14dbA Mid internal noise and 22dbA for the Sides. That
> doesn't seem quiet to me, at least compared to the 10dbA figure for many of
> the other MKH mikes.
>
> Have they told you that the internal noise levels are now lower? Have they
> modified the mike in some way to improve the specs?
>
> Lang

I corresponded with someone who had tested a early version of this mic
in Europe a while back. Or at least got to do a few test recordings and
look at it. Report at that time was the mid was the MKH-416 capsule. And
he was not all that happy with sound quality as a result.

I have a pdf on it I downloaded from Sennheiser a while back dated 10/02

In that the polar patterns of the mid closely resemble the ones of the
MKH-416. The noise figures are as you report. The S mic only has a
sensitivity of 10 mV/PA vs the mid's 25 mV/PA.

It would not be hard for Sennheiser to improve it. Just use the MKH-60
capsule and electronics for the mid. And the MKH-30 side. That would
give a mid sensitivity of 40 mV/PA, self noise 6 dBA  and a side
sensitivity of 25 mV/PA, self noise 13 dBA. I know that combo is good,
and it can be fit into the standard Sennheiser suspension/windscreen for
the MKH-60. A MKH-80 capsule/electronics for the side would net you 40
mV/PA sensitivity and 10 dBA self noise for the side. That would be a
real killer combo. That's probably the combo that should be used to
benchmark this new mic if it's going to claim to be better. Bernie do
you have those two available?

When I first looked at the MKH-418S it was a disappointment as a result
of the poor specs, so I've kind of ignored it. I'd love it if they saw
the light. Will be very interested in what's found.

Walt

"Microphones are not ears,
Loudspeakers are not birds,
A listening room is not nature."