Re: New Sennheiser mic test

Subject: Re: New Sennheiser mic test
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2004 22:54:53 -0500
From: Lang Elliott <>

> Walt:
>
> Why would you prefer to use the MKH 80, rather than the MKH 60 in combo w=
ith
> the MKH 30? Is it because you could change the polar pattern of the MKH 8=
0,
> thereby adjusting the width of the field of reception?

I think you misunderstood. I was talking about using the MKH 60 as the
mid, the MKH-80 as the side mic set on figure 8. That would give the
best noise and sensitivity specs possible within the MKH line for this
design. That's the combo I wish Sennheiser had of used in the MKH-418S

I am using a pair of MKH-80's in M/S configuration with one set on
figure 8, and the other can be used on any of the patterns. It gives
really good results, but is a more awkward package than my other M/S.

Now that I've mentioned it, I'm just going to have to team a MKH-80 with
a MKH-60 and see what I get. I've not done that as it's going to require
machining some custom mounting parts. I do know that the difference in
self noise and sensitivity between the MKH-60 and the MKH-30 is
noticable in that setup, though it can be compensated for.