Re: New Sennheiser mic test

Subject: Re: New Sennheiser mic test
From: Lang Elliott <>
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2004 08:38:49 -0500
Walt:

They were identitified as aggression calls by Carl Gerhardt of the
University of Maryland. He has great recordings of them and I also got some
occurring in a group from Florida. So Carl is the one to refer everyone to:

It is possible, as you note, that they are not strictly "aggression" calls,
but have some other purpose. I really don't know. I was going by Carl's
impressions. The call is included in my guide "The Calls of Frogs and
Toads". Who knows, maybe it is another species?

Lang

From: Lang Elliott <>

> Walt:
>
> I was just looking around on your site and discovered your unknown
> Gastrophryne stuff. In the recording labeled 2003m008-007.mp3 I hear typical
> E. Narrowmouth calls plus a lot of their aggression calls.

How did you get aggression calls? The call experts down here did not
identify them as such. In fact Paul Mohler's group in Florida got the
specimens I collected and are somewhere in the process of doing genetic
testing. He'd noted the call in a few sites before I did. Since some of
my specimens were alone well away from others giving that call when
caught it's a problem to call it aggression. I've only had two
locations, fairly near each other, in all the large number of sites I've
had E. Narrowmouth where these calls occurred, both down in SW GA.

If you have something I can forward on to them I'm very sure they will
be interested. I'm going to be meeting with John Jensen on friday, and
will bring that thought up with him. If I remember, we discussed that
possibility last year and dismissed it because of the rarity of the call.

Walt

"Microphones are not ears,
Loudspeakers are not birds,
A listening room is not nature."