Re: M/S stereo rig for travelling

Subject: Re: M/S stereo rig for travelling
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2004 01:22:36 -0500
From: "dlsbmartin11" <>

> I'd like to introduce myself.  My name is David and I've been
> recording for about 10 years, mostly bird calls.  I've learned a lot
> doing it, and I've gained a much, much greater appreciation of sounds
> in nature.  I've even made a few decent recordings.  I've been
> upgrading my equipment over the last year and, now have a Marantz
> PMD670, a Telinga parabola and a couple of Sennheiser MKH
> microphones.  Now, I figure that the main things standing between me
> and good quality recordings are my own limitations and learning to
> use the new gear.

It does take time to learn each new mic.

> I've been trying to figure out the best way to mount the mics for M/S
> stereo recording.  I have a Sennheiser zeppelin, and I could mount
> them the way Walt does, but the zeppelin is big, hard to pack, and I
> am concerned that it is not rugged enough to go in soft-sided
> luggage.   I also could mount the mics on a Sennheiser MZS80 shock
> mount (came with the MKH 30) and use foam windscreens.  However, a
> pretty mild breeze produces buffeting with that set-up.  I also have
> a couple of Rycote softies, but I haven't figured out how I can set
> up an M/S rig when using them.  I'm very interested in any
> suggestions anyone might have.

I don't consider the zeppelins safe except in hard sided containers. The
Sennheiser zeppelins are more sturdy than the Rycote, but could be
easily damaged. That pretty much means finding at least a rigid tube to
protect it.

You do definitely need wind protection. And not just a zeppelin, but the
furry cover as well. And I've gone to baby socks on the mics inside for
serious wind.

Softies would work, but you would get a lot of separation which could be
a problem. There's about 1/4" between the mics in my setup. Softies
would be ok for mono, though they are not as much protection as the full
up kit.

I went round and round about how to do this, and it came down that the
most compact thing that really works well is that zeppelin. I looked
into making my own, and that's a lot of work to do well. So, I
concentrated on finding the pieces cheaper on ebay.

>From   Tue Mar  8 18:26:42 2005
Message: 10