Re: Minidisk data transfer and bat recordings

Subject: Re: Minidisk data transfer and bat recordings
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2004 20:04:15 -0500
>  From: "myotisone" <>

Walt,

> There is actually considerable discussion about the mics used by the
> detetctors, but it tend to be in terms of sensitivity to the calls rather=
 than the
> quality of the output.
>
> For example see http://www.bats.org.uk/nbmp/whichdet.htm which is an
> introduction to choosing a bat detector. Not very technical, but gives a=

> flavour of the type of concerns.

Another one I've read, but thanks.

In some ways the problem of mic quality is less. There is far less going
on at ultrasound frequencies, so it's easier to get a clear recording. I
suspect that mic self noise is far less of a problem too.

As you may guess, if I get into it my only reason is recordings for
enjoyment. That means good sound quality. The bar for "good enough"
get's raised. I don't worry about the sound quality of my recorder, but
it's looking a bit tricky to get a mic and detector that will give what
I'm looking for without being too expensive. Why I've been looking for a
few years without buying.