Re: Minidisk data transfer and bat recordings

Subject: Re: Minidisk data transfer and bat recordings
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2004 14:55:28 -0500
From: "?" <>

> Even if not all of the arguments against ATRAC are valid, there are still
> some strong arguments against the use of MD recorders for high-quality au=
dio
> recording. The quantization noise added by ATRAC is not always inaudible =
and
> under some circumstances it is indeed possible that softer sounds disappe=
ar
> completely (in cases where the bit-depth has been reduced down to zero bi=
ts in
> the corresponding frequency range). So I would still recommend not to was=
te
> money for expensive professional MD recorders. Walt, please forgive me fo=
> posting that opinion ;-)

It is your opinion, I know it's based on little or no experience with
actual use of MD for field recordings. And on tests I consider highly
inappropriate for testing the value of the compression in recording
actual sounds found in nature. No animal or combination of animals will
make those sounds or even close. And that you tested mp3, not ATRAC. And
that you may not understand english perfectly enough to realize how much
you are overstating your opinion.

If anything you could apologize to the group for willfully misleading
them as to the relative importance of anything introduced by ATRAC. I
need no apology.

Yes, MD recorders, particularly consumer grade MD recorders do have
limitations, as do all recorders. They are not appropriate for every
last possible recording task, no recorder is. Where we differ is in when
they are appropriate. You would represent them as being inappropriate
for any quality recording, or maybe all recording. I know from long
experience with the format and using and evaluating actual field
recordings critically that the line is much higher than that. And that
they are appropriate recorders in most scientific work too. And it's not
a waste of money to buy a high quality MD recorder. That's my opinion
and it's based on a lot of experience.