RE: Minidisk data transfer and bat recordings

Subject: RE: Minidisk data transfer and bat recordings
From: "Graham M Smith" <>
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2004 21:48:43 -0000
Walt,

> Don't think I was anti consulting work, I used to do a lot of
> environmental consultant work.

I didn't think that you were, I was just responding in support of
consultancy, the vast majority (if not all) the ecological consultants I
know are naturalists first, and the problem is not getting them out all
night doing filed work, but "trapping" them in the office long enough to
actually write the reports.

> Believe it or not, we have consultants here who get really plum
> contracts with herp survey and are 9-5 types.

> I remember when I was out in the australian outback talking to someone
> out there. He told me the tale about this biologist who was to
> officially determine if kangaroos were getting scarce. She and her
> driver started each day promptly at 9AM and were in their motel each
> night by 4PM. Needless to say they saw few kangaroos, who tend to spend
> the heat of the day in the shade where they are harder to spot.

Well, maybe its because nearly all my stuff ends up being torn apart at
Public Inquiry, but if I had to admit that I was supporting an argument wit=
data collected at the wrong time of year or day, then that would throw doub=
over all the evidence I was giving. Of course sometimes you are forced to d=
the work under less than perfect circumstances, but I don't like doing it.

Graham