Recording non-animal sounds

Subject: Recording non-animal sounds
From: "Eric Benjamin" <>
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2004 21:15:34 -0000
My interest is more along the lines of recording natural
environments, as opposed to the sound of any particular animal.

One thing that I have tried to do is to record the sound of waves,
from within the surf.  Naturally I don't do this with expensive
microphones.  I'm trying to make either binaural recordings or
surround recordings, but the problem that I have is that the
recording enevitably falls far shy of reality.  The natural sound of
the surf has many discrete elements in it, but the recordings tend to
make the surf sound more like noise.

Comments? Suggestions?

Eric Benjamin