Re: Recording non-animal sounds

Subject: Re: Recording non-animal sounds
From: grantfinlay <>
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2004 11:12:41 +1300
Hi Eric,
  i'm the same as you and like to go for environment rather than a
species. I've found the best results through recording several
different perspectives and multi-tracking them to get the best results.
Works the best for water, can't get a realistic sound otherwise... just
put the headphones and point the mic and walk slowly to the water and
you'll find a few sweet spots ,(you'll need to back off about 30-50
metres to get the roar and low freqs)
good luck!
grant finlay.

On Tuesday, January 27, 2004, at 10:15  AM, Eric Benjamin wrote:

> My interest is more along the lines of recording natural
> environments, as opposed to the sound of any particular animal.
>
> One thing that I have tried to do is to record the sound of waves,
> from within the surf.=A0 Naturally I don't do this with expensive
> microphones.=A0 I'm trying to make either binaural recordings or
> surround recordings, but the problem that I have is that the
> recording enevitably falls far shy of reality.=A0 The natural sound of
> the surf has many discrete elements in it, but the recordings tend to
> make the surf sound more like noise.
>
> Comments? Suggestions?
>
> Eric Benjamin

Grant Finlay
Hm:++64 9 5256465
Mb: ++64 21 943997
Based in Auckland, New Zealand.
http://www.ultrasound.orcon.net.nz
Location Sound Recording for Film,TV & Music.