Re: Recording non-animal sounds

Subject: Re: Recording non-animal sounds
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2004 14:17:46 -0500
From: "Eric Benjamin" <>

> My interest is more along the lines of recording natural
> environments, as opposed to the sound of any particular animal.
>
> One thing that I have tried to do is to record the sound of waves,
> from within the surf.  Naturally I don't do this with expensive
> microphones.  I'm trying to make either binaural recordings or
> surround recordings, but the problem that I have is that the
> recording enevitably falls far shy of reality.  The natural sound of
> the surf has many discrete elements in it, but the recordings tend to
> make the surf sound more like noise.

Bernie Kraus' book "Wild Soundscapes: Discovering the Voice of the
Natural World" includes specific instructions about recording surf.
Along with lots of other useful stuff about recording Ambiance, which is
what you are talking about.

Recording Ambiance, particularly quiet ambiance is one of the most
demanding things in nature recording on microphones. Be warned, if you
get deep into it you will be looking at spending some money.

I'm not a great fan of soundscapes mixed entirely from mono recordings,
to me those still sound like a bunch of unconnected mono recordings. If
you try mixing, try to work with full stereo soundfields, more
difficult, but more rewarding. You can help the mono accents by having a
robust stereo field to add them to.

I'm also not convinced that surf requires multi mic mixing. But I don't
have much of it around here to play with.