Re: fast editor for huge wav files

Subject: Re: fast editor for huge wav files
From: "Rich Peet" <>
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2004 21:57:09 -0000
Cooledit/Audition does support compact file images for instant load
and multiple edits.
You do need to turn it on. Under options it is on the Display tab.
It will still be slow on huge files if you are viewing "Spectral
View" instead of "Waveform View".  The image known as "Peak Cache
Files" do have to be created the first time the file is either
recorded or read under Cooledit. After the first read it is very fast.
Pk files are not supported by all audio formats such as MP3 and FLAC.

The help notes on it read:

Peak Files
Peak (.pk) files store information about how to display .wav files,
and can make file loading almost instantaneous by greatly reducing
the time it takes to draw the waveform (especially with larger files).

Peaks Cache

This value determines the number of samples per block to be used when
storing peak files. Larger values will reduce the RAM requirement for
large files at the expense of slightly slower drawing at some zoom
levels.

If RAM is an issue on your system, and you're working with very large
files (several hundred megabytes or more in size), you should
consider increasing the Peaks Cache to 1024 or even 1536 or 2048.

Save Peak Cache Files

If this option is enabled, all .wav files will have peak files saved
with them (in the same folder) with the extension .pk following the
original audio filename. Uncheck this box if you don't want Adobe=AE
AuditionTM to save peak files on your hard drive.

Good Luck.
Rich

--- In  Gianni Pavan <>