Re: fast editor for huge wav files

Subject: Re: fast editor for huge wav files
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2004 17:40:45 -0500
From: Gianni Pavan <>

> I'm running on a 3GHZ P4 with 1GB RAM and 5 200GB HDs. What I need is a
> really efficient software for managing huge wav files. I've two terabytes=

> of wav files on removable HDs and thus any saving in time is important. T=
he
> editor should be able to efficiently edit files without loading them
> entirely in RAM like some video editors that work on a compact file-image=

> and then they apply all operations while creating the final file with jus=
> one filecopy operation.
> Gianni

The size of hard disks is not the issue, how fast they move data is. If
these are ATA's, then you also have the problem that ATA's require more
attention from your main processor than SCSI.

The 3GHz P4 is slow compared to a current dual G5, the bar keeps getting
raised. And 1GB of RAM could be larger and help if used well. It's
probably not enough for working mostly in RAM at your file sizes.

SparkXL, which I use does about what I think you are describing. At
initial load it creates a outline file that contains the waveform
display data. This would take a little while for such large files, maybe
a few minutes with fast disks and processor. This file is saved
separately so opening the file again won't take the same time.

Once that's done you can load your processing steps into the FX machine.
  These can be filters, real time sonograms, etc. Settings can be
previewed without final processing up to the capability of the processor
to keep up. I find the filters are not a problem to preview, but a
detailed sonogram can bog things down if put on top of that. But, I have
a old 400mhz single processor G4. So I usually settle for a little less
detail in the sono. During this phase it's not writing new files to
disk. Then, when everything is set it processes from the original file
to a entirely new file on disk without displays or realtime listening.
That can take time, but is primarily dependent on processor speed. Since
it's not displaying the sono it's reasonably fast, even with a dozen or
more steps of processing. I believe that's what you are describing.

Note that SparkXL is capable of applying your filter set to multiple
files as well, though I only use it one file at a time. It's rare the
exact same filter settings will work best for more than one file. It
should also be noted that it's realtime preview is just that, the final
run will do slightly better on each filter than the preview. If being
really picky, you will have to learn to expect this slight difference.

Peak is a bit behind SparkXL in this aspect, it's processing is more
step by step with more scratchfile writing. Though they have been
working into a batch system as well.

Your filesize is so far out of normal it would probably be a good idea
to contact the software companies of any software you are considering to
find out any limitations.