Re: wide spaced Omni's

Subject: Re: wide spaced Omni's
From: Rob Danielson <>
Date: Sun, 11 May 2003 12:51:34 -0500
>Rich--Thank you for the kind words.
>We like our State Bird, the Common Loon, and the Sandhill Cranes have
>grown so in numbers that they often get in the way.  The frogs  are
>also our most common frog, the Western Chorus Frog.  MN does have
>some interesting sounds that I very much enjoy chasing.
>
>The recorder is again this year a consumer minidisc. Maybe some of
>the vaporware will become a reality soon so that I may upgrade
>without going broke.  Until then, I use a lot of other lower cost
>approaches to capture sound.  But at least I have 5 different mic
>options now for capture of stereo sound.
>
>Rich Peet
>MN
>N45 W93
>
>PS I got my American Bittern finally and we have had some prolonged
>rains that have brought the leaves out on the trees this means the
>more "open" sounding part of recording season is now over here.

Very interesting point about the effects of vegetation on reach,
character of ambience and the extent to which the communications can
be located in recordings.  I've  noticed that the night recordings
I've made after leaf fall have significantly more  "body" than those
of leaf cover.  I was trying to reduce the incessant chatter of the
leaves and was pleasantly surprised to hear more in the 400-2000 Hz
range as well.  Openess is a tough thing to define in terms of the
normal characteristics, but you can tell instantly when a recording
has it. Beautifully mysterious, well beyond using low noise gear. Air
density. Geography.  There might be only 20-40 seconds of it in one
location from a night's recording. There will be more bittern
opportunities in LaFarge this week.
Rob D.