RE: taking the leap

Subject: RE: taking the leap
From: "Barb Beck" <>
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2003 10:59:55 -0600
Look,  he is trying for a learning CD.  I do not have the greatest equipmen=
(stuck with tape because of Cornells great advice)  and my recordings are
not the greatest but often it is the background outdoor NATURAL noise that
is far more than any tape hiss etc.  The goal here is to get something out
for people to learn to identify the critters from.  I record a lot in areas
with aspen.  I am not sure those trees even need a slight breeze to make
noise - I am totally convinced that the leaves rustle when it is dead still
8~) and if the leaves are not making the noise your recordings sound like
they were made in the rain (tent catipiller outbreaks) Actually I prefer
recordings that have not been overly processed making the recording "sound"
great but the bird not sound natural - particularly when high frequency
stuff is removed.  On the prairies you have the wind factor except
(sometimes) for a short time in the early morning.  Our boreal forest has a
very high number of breeding birds and everything happens at once.  My
biggest prolem is somewhat isolating the bird.  Often removing other specie=
really ruins the recording.

Get out there, record the dialects in your area.  Get a convenient sound
editor and go from there.

If you need some recordings let me know.  I am probably missing some you
have.  I am working on a 3 cd learning set Alberta Birding by Ear here and
missing a few I really want to have on the set.

Barb Beck
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada