Re: taking the leap

Subject: Re: taking the leap
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2003 11:19:59 -0400
M, J, & V Phinney wrote:
> Hi All
>
> I'm going to make the big move of transferring many hours of bird / frog =
/
> mammal recordings from cassette tape to digital format. My ultimate goal =
is
> to create an instructional cd of bird songs using the local dialects I've
> recorded. I hope to achieve this on a shoestring budget. Can anyone
> recommend a freeware / shareware / 'demo' version of an easy-to-use progr=
am?
> The simpler, the better...the only 'extra' feature I can think of that I
> might need is some way to filter or edit out  background hiss/hum, etc.  =
Any
> other helpful hints would be appreciated. I'm running Mac OS 9.1

You were doing fine until you said filter. That's something that will
put you into commercial software.

Bias Peak is what I'd recommend. You can cobble something together out
of the free stuff, but it's not going to do much more than just get it
into your computer. There is a free trial version, and a Peak LE that
will do all you need except the filtering.
http://www.bias-inc.com/