Re: taking the leap

Subject: Re: taking the leap
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2003 13:18:04 -0400
Charles Deenen (home) wrote:

> So what do you use to get into the mac ?  If it=B9s indeed the analog inp=
ut
> like you=B9re describing, good luck getting that =B3grain=B2 out.  It=B9s=
 pretty
> bad, really.  General rule in the post world to not try to add more noise=
 if
> you=B9re trying to get rid of noise. Makes the job that much harder :)  B=
ut I
> see where you=B9re coming from in case this is just for home use etc.

You assume that you will get noise from the mac audio input. Not a
problem if used properly. If used to what's spec'd standard on windows
machines I'd see where you might worry. I used it for years before going
to a digital input with the Portadisc and am thoroughly familiar with
it's capabilities. I now use a Roland UA-30 and connect the Portadisc
via a optical link. The analog input of that Roland is pretty good too.
But not noticeably better than the mac analog input.

If you notice, the original poster is trying to do it without spending
huge sums of money. The mac analog input, which is marked with a icon of
a mic on the hardware, will do it just fine. Nothing cheap is going to
do any better. And a good many things expensive also won't do any
better. And, we are talking the sound quality of cassette tape.

The post world you speak of has wads of money to waste. Most of us
don't. We pay our own bills out of our own pockets, no customers to pass
it on to.