Re: taking the leap

Subject: Re: taking the leap
From: Dan Dugan <>
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2003 10:56:08 -0700
Mark Phinney, you wrote,

>I'm going to make the big move of transferring many hours of bird / frog /
>mammal recordings from cassette tape to digital format.

Another consideration in transferring cassette recordings is
alignment. Cassette recorders are notorious for being off-kilter at
best, and unstable at worst. Can you transfer the recordings from the
same machine you made them on? That will be the easiest way to get
hopefully correct head alignment.

Take care to clean the tape path (everything the tape touches, not
just the heads) with 91%+ isopropyl alcohol for every pass, and be
sure the cassette machine isn't near an amplifier or any AC-powered
gear; transformers radiate a hum field that playback heads are very
good at detecting.

-Dan Dugan