Re: Re: ultrasoundgate mic preamp

Subject: Re: Re: ultrasoundgate mic preamp
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Mon, 07 Apr 2003 20:07:18 -0400
Raimund Specht wrote:

> Second, these devices do not claim to replace the PortaDisk or
> Marantz devices. There is no doubt, that these portable recorders
> are easier to handle than a computer in conjunction with an USB
> audio interface. However, if you need higher sampling rates (e.g.
> for recording grasshoppers or bats) or higher dynamic ranges, the
> UltraSoundGate devices will be appropriate. Do you know another
> compact and portable solution to exploit the extended frequency
> range of a MKH800?

I'd actually like to see a all in one package so the laptop is not
needed in the field. I know that's going to eat more power, but probably
less than a laptop plus the ultrasoundgate.

If it was cheaper and was all in one, I'd be tempted. I'd already looked
at the stuff on the 16bit versions, which is probably fine for me. I
would be interested in the use with bats and insects.

I only have a couple MKH-80's. The extra cost of the MKH-800 just did
not seem justified. I do like the MKH-80's very much. Now if they can
figure out how to up the frequency range to cover all the bats that
would be more interesting.