Re: ultrasoundgate mic preamp

Subject: Re: ultrasoundgate mic preamp
From: "Raimund Specht" <>
Date: Mon, 07 Apr 2003 23:19:12 -0000
--- In  "Martyn Stewart"
<> wrote:
> The picturebook computer is around $1900 to $2000, I have a Sony
> picturebook PCG-C1MW running a Crusoe processor and once you have
> bought the Ultrasoundgate with it, adds up to a lot of money for a
> system that is as good as a portadisk or Marantz flashcard
> player?!!, you only have one mic input too?  I think its a lot of
> equipment also to cart around in the field, the picture looks like
> lot of finicky bits & Pieces, Sounds like your an agent for the
> bloke too, how much commission you on?
>
> Martyn

First, I can assure, that this "bloke" does not pay any commission
to anyone...

Second, these devices do not claim to replace the PortaDisk or
Marantz devices. There is no doubt, that these portable recorders
are easier to handle than a computer in conjunction with an USB
audio interface. However, if you need higher sampling rates (e.g.
for recording grasshoppers or bats) or higher dynamic ranges, the
UltraSoundGate devices will be appropriate. Do you know another
compact and portable solution to exploit the extended frequency
range of a MKH800?

Raimund