Re: flash memory /duration of recording

Subject: Re: flash memory /duration of recording
From: "Rich Peet" <>
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2003 00:22:57 -0000
I priced the unit to buy it or get on the early list. And I would
today if I could.  The only problem I see at all with the 670 on
paper is that it is vaporware.  Some products die in that vapor and
some make it. Marantz has a good track record of making what they
advertise.

The small pins don't bother me either as this unit has usb for
offload.  The chip is expected to only be changed as I get more money
for bigger chips.  I also expect to lose a memory chip every five
years and that to me is a even trade for having a motor drive.

I welcome this tech. and expect it to survive the field with a proper
case longer than any motor driven device out there.  I also expect to
be the one building that case as many have found that they have to do
that themselves with recorders these days.  This to me is the bright
light of proaudio right now and is of more interest than 24/96 will
ever be for me in field use.

But then I have always welcomed new techs. out there and have a
pretty good track record of passing on the stuff that doesn't work.=20
There was a USrobotics modem that took me to the cleaners once.  And
so, I don't have a perfect track record.

Rich Peet

--- In  Walter Knapp <>
<> wrote:

> >>Minidiscs are so cheap I don't reuse.
> >

> > But isn't that the point? People attracted to using CF Cards
> > over MD usually desire fast digital transfer to PC and archiving
on
> > another medium (CDR or whatever) They reuse their original
storage
> > medium (just as digital photograhers do). If that's the case the
cost
> > comparison isn't valid.
>
> Those who wish to can reuse MD, I just happen not to as I like to
keep
> my original. And I can afford to do so easily because the cost is
so
> low. In fact you can reuse a MD disk a million times. Will compact
flash
> stand up to a million connects and disconnets? How many years will
the
> internal battery last? And so on.
>
> In fact, $1000 of MD's is many, many years supply, some 380+ disks.
Your
> solid state unit will have been replaced long before I'd use up
that
> many disks. And $1000 is just one compact flash, capable of storing
6
> hours. I carry more recording time than that with me every trip.
How
> many compact flash would you need for a extended trip? How many
> thousands will that cost?
>
> You really quickly get to having to chain your computer to you on
trips.
>   I've been there, done that, don't care to do it more. Especially
as
> the average laptop will not have the capacity for very many compact
> flash worth of sound, so you then get into burning CD's or
something out
> in the field.
>
> > I think the valid point one could make in favor of MD is that
because
> > the  original recording medium is cheap it may be a much better
> > solution in field situations in which one might not have
frequently
> > opportunities to offload onto cheaper storage. But there are also
> > solutions to that issue.
>
> There are several things in favor of MD's for field nature
recording. We
> have been over that ground. There is a whole lot more than price.
>
> But, let's see a bunch of those who have endlessly advocated
compact
> flash recorders for nature recording put their money where their
mouth
> is and buy and use them in real field recording. Talk is cheap. I
sure
> don't see many of the advocates buying and using.
>
> Then we shall find out just how durable a Compact Flash card is
when
> dropped into a mudpuddle and all the other fun of field recording.
We
> shall also find out if the recorder wrapped around it is any good.
And