Re: Re: flash memory /duration of recording

Subject: Re: Re: flash memory /duration of recording
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2003 14:30:48 -0500
oryoki2000 wrote:

> Price will likely be close to $1,000 for either
> device when introduced.  Prices have been falling
> 75% per year in the compactflash market, so I'd
> expect pricing to be less than $500 this time next year.

Let's see, I just stocked up on HHb 80 minute minidiscs, one of the most
expensive minidiscs which cost the equivalent of $0.0324/minute of
record time. Not $2.68/minute (the $1000 price) or $1.34/minute (the
$500 price)

Mumble, mumble, calculate. That's 257.4 hours of record time for $500,
or 514.8 hours for $1000 with the HHb 80 minute disks. Compare that to
6.2 hours or whatever it really works out as.

Mumble, mumble, calculate. That's 41.5 times the record time for the
same price using the $500 figure, or 83 times the record time using the
$1000 figure.

$500 may get you a Sennheiser MKH mic off ebay in excellent condition,
several of the ones I got were under that, $1000 certainly will. It's
almost enough for a matched pair of new condition MKH20's if you get as
lucky as I did. Even after you buy 5 HHb minidiscs to cover the record
time. That's a investment in sound quality, $500 or $1000 into a solid
state memory chip buys you no noticeable sound quality improvement. Your
recorder just jumped a whole batch in price.

Minidiscs are so cheap I don't reuse. My original recorded disks are all
stored away, will still have the recording on them 50 years from now if
kept that long. I'll be long gone by then.

Note also I did not have to lay out anywhere near so big a lump of money
at one time in my bulk buy of 50 HHb minidiscs.