Re: Re: flash memory /duration of recording

Subject: Re: Re: flash memory /duration of recording
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2003 10:31:52 +0000
Will compact flash
stand up to a million connects and disconnets? How many years will the
internal battery last? And so on.

Compact Flash has a Mean Time Between Failures of over 1,000,000 hours,
and a data retention figure of 100,000 hours - far longer than anyone
would actually keep the data on one. They do not have an internal battery.=

As far as data reliability figures go - average is 1 non-recoverable error=

in 10 to the power 14 bits read- a very large number indeed. These are not=

my figures, but the actual testing data from CF manufacturers. Insertion
figures are usually about 10,000 inserts minimum. I have a hard time
believing an MD would stand up to any more than 10,000 inserts ( and
wouldn't like to be the person who had to test this :)  !! )

In fact, $1000 of MD's is many, many years supply, some 380+ disks. Your
solid state unit will have been replaced long before I'd use up that
many disks

I think to be honest your MD machine would be replaced before a solid
state unit. MD recorders have moving parts which are extremely susceptible=

to wear, and an optical mech which also wears out. Given that many people
on this list also use consumer MD machines, they would be replaced even
before a dedicated pro MD recorder.

Then we shall find out just how durable a Compact Flash card is when
dropped into a mudpuddle

Dropping a CF, except from a great height, would have no effect on it.
Neither would immersing it in water, as long as it is dry before it is
re-inserted. Dropping a MD into water or from a great height would also
damage it, so I don't really see the logic in that argument.

The price issue is worth considering here. Admittedly the large capacity
CF and Microdrives are currently expensive, but as someone else pointed
out, these are doubling in capacity and halfing in price every 12 months
so that won't be an issue for long. The most important point is that it is=

not the archival medium. MD may be cheap, but how many will you buy during=

the lifetime of the product ? I have done the maths and for professional
recordists in any recording field who spend five days a week, 5 hours a
day recording, and their recorder last five years, the likely cost of
media over this period at UK media prices would be somewhere around
=A312000. With DAT this figure goes up to over =A324000. Even if you bought=

five 4 GB CF at today's prices, it would still be a significant reduction
in media cost over the lifetime of the product.

BTW, with reference to Oryoki's mail regarding battery time, we are
currently investigating some external battery pack solutions which would
give over seven hours recording time on a single battery. We hope to have
some solutions available later this year.

Best Wishes

Matt

Matt Jarvis
Product Marketing Manager
Marantz Professional Europe

Walter Knapp <>
2003-03-27 23:31
Please respond to naturerecordists

        cc:     (bcc: Matt Jarvis/LGD/CE/PHILIPS)