Re: flash memory /duration of recording

Subject: Re: flash memory /duration of recording
From: "qukza" <>
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2003 15:07:30 -0000
--- In  Walter Knapp <>
wrote:

> Talk is cheap. I sure don't see many of the advocates buying and
> using.

Agreed but this is relatively new technology. There have been limited
options available and many of the recorders that have been available
have had some serious limitations. With this new "second generation"
solid state recorder I think we'll see wider adoption.

> Then we shall find out just how durable a Compact Flash card is
> when dropped into a mudpuddle and all the other fun of field
> recording.

Others have already provided technical responses. I'll just add that
CF cards have been around for a while. They are widely used by photo
journalists and others who give them some pretty heavy abuse under
extreme conditions. Here's a rather sad example, pretty much the only
thing that survives is the CF card:
http://digitaljournalist.org/issue0111/biggart_intro.htm