Re: Re: stereo in a parabola

Subject: Re: Re: stereo in a parabola
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Sun, 02 Mar 2003 23:58:59 -0500
Kevin Colver wrote:
> Despite the central high frequency "hole" in my setup, the effect was
> nonetheless quite pleasing to listen to.  I doubt that it will be a
> significant problem in most recording sessions.  To focus sharply on one
> bird I will need to aim off axis slightly, then the bird will sound like
> it is to the side a bit in the final take.  I think this will still give
> a nice natural feeling effect so I'll give it a try with some field
> recordings this spring.  The singing birds are starting to warm up a bit
> here now.

It would be more of a problem for recording a ambiance type recording
than a single bird calling. A lot of problems are only problems for
certain circumstances.

> I'd still like to hear if anyone has tried M/S in a parabola?

Only hand held and listening with headphones through the MP2's decoder.
I've got to build something in the way of mounting.

The M/S works, no hole of course. I've tried both my MKH 30/60 and the
MKH 30/40 M/S setups. I can get stereo off either my 30" parabolic or a
Telinga reflector. But need to do more solid mounting for accurate
testing. Sounds ok so far.

Don't know how much time I'll have for experimenting. Calling season is
upon us down here. I've several ideas for alternative stereo from
parabola's to try. Each of which will involve some time machining parts.
As I get time I'll work through the various designs.