RFI - Scanner for B/W negatives

Subject: RFI - Scanner for B/W negatives
From: Syd Curtis <>
Date: Sun, 02 Mar 2003 10:02:27 +1000

I know this is not what naturerecordists is about, but I crave your
indulgence, arguing that photography is a way of recording nature, and
knowing that Naturerecordists collectively represent a wonderfully wide bod=
of knowledge and experience.

My mother was an excellent nature photographer within the limits of the
technology of the day - circa 80 years ago:  Thornton-Pickard half-plate
camera and B/W glass plates.  Had photo-essays published in the local
"Queenslander" newspaper;  made it into a recent Queensland Museum book
"Their Brilliant Careers" - being biographies of naturalists of note, not
generally celebrated in their day because they were women.

I have some hundreds of these glass plates.  Mother developed them herself,
as she considered that locally-available commercial firms didn't wash them
properly, thus jeopardising their permanence.

Can anyone advise me please, whether there exists a scanner that would scan
these into a computer (Mac G3 - OS 9.1) and allow them to be printed as
positives.

TIA

Syd Curtis (Brisbane, Australia)