Re: RFI - Scanner for B/W negatives

Subject: Re: RFI - Scanner for B/W negatives
From: Syd Curtis <>
Date: Sun, 02 Mar 2003 23:01:12 +1000
My very great thanks to you helpful people on naturerecordists for all that
advice on scanning B/W glass plate negatives.

I must also thank Greg Clark who emailed me direct with what, but for one
small hitch, is perhaps the best advice of all: photographically print from
the negatives and then scan the prints.  The trouble is that my hope was to
avoid the photographic printing: done commercially it's shockingly
expensive, at least here in Brisbane (Australia), and as I enter my 4th
quarter-century, I'm not sure that I want to undertake the task of building
a darkroom and learning to make prints.

First up, I shall send all your postings to my son, who has a few of the
glass plates, some sort of scanner, a digital camera, and (most important)
is at home with computers, which I am not.  If he has time, he might have a
go at it.  And if not, he knows my capabilities (or lack thereof!) and can
advise what he thinks I might be able to do.

And if Vicki Powys would like to try, I'll gladly send her a plate or two.

Again many thanks.

Syd