Re: stereo in a parabola

Subject: Re: stereo in a parabola
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Sat, 01 Mar 2003 17:57:23 -0500
Kevin J. Colver wrote:
> I strapped two mono mics 6 inches apart without a barrier in between to
> my 24" parabola and went out into the backyard to record the feeder
> birds this morning.  The mics were in the focal plane of the dish, just
> tied in place with a couple of thin strips of scrap fleece fabric.  This
> was a configuration suggested by Marty.  The sound was great!  A nice
> stereo field with good focus straight ahead.  No more mono mount for me.
> Thanks for the tip Marty.
> Kevin Colver

I just got in from juggling mics and dishes.

After roughing out where the focus was for my 30" dish, I spent some
time with the MS mic in one hand and dish in other. I was just listening
through the MP2's decoder. The stereo sounds pretty decent, I'm going to
have to figure out a temporary mount before I'd attempt recording. There
was not a lot calling as it's cold and drizzly, which made testing more
troublesome. I really could have used something calling steady from a
single location, everything that called seemed to be doing it on the move.

I also tried the M/S in the Telinga reflector. This works ok, though to
get to focus I had to pull the windscreen and put the nose of the MKH-60
virtually against the dish. Note even with the big dish, the zepplin on
the MS MKH 30/60 was only clearing the dish by a few inches.

Looks like the side mic works ok offset a little from center, allowing
the Mid mic to be placed center. Until I get it all held solidly in
place I can't be sure on that. Since I don't want to drill holes in the
dish for temp tests, I'm going to have to devise a support that will
clamp to the dish edges.

I did briefly check the SASS/MKH-20 with the big dish. Also get a stereo
field.

Got enough to look like it might be worth the bother of fitting the big
dish with a suitably adjustable mic mount for more experiments.