RE: Re: stereo in a parabola

Subject: RE: Re: stereo in a parabola
From: Marty Michener <>
Date: Sun, 02 Mar 2003 09:11:18 -0500
At 06:14 PM 3/1/2003 -0700, you wrote:
>Further testing this afternoon confirms the central "hole."  The right
>focus is definitely to the right a bit and left off to the left.  This
>is on the setup with 2 mono mics spaced a bit to the side of middle but
>in the plane of focus.  I imagine the Telinga stereo doesn't have this
>problem does it?
>Kevin J. Colver

Kevin:

I am glad you and Walt are providing actual results to this discussion.  I
certainly agree with all Walt's points about your rig.  I would move the
mics closer together until you have less "hole".  As I kept saying, with a
sharp-focus parabola it would be nice to have three or four mic
channels.  Think analogy: film with only two grains, vs. film with four or
nine grains.

As for Rich's circles and flyby response, I never noticed that.  Far right
was NOT louder in my right mic, but about equal.  As the sound angle got
closer to the center there was little detectable increase until within 5 or
8 degrees, then BIG increase in the contralateral mic, then both mics, then
the other mic, then fade out,

But remember my parabola that I did most of this with is 48" and has a huge
gain and directionality - so much so that if you didn't see the singer's
location, it could be a bear to aim.  Easy with a continuous sound - just
keep panning for max signal in the headphones.  With a slowly repeated,
short sound, like an alarm "chip" every two seconds, it was maddening
trying for best aim.  But for much of our uses it was "too good", too much
on axis gain, too directional.  Follow-focus with flying calling birds
(e.g. Canada Goose stereo flyover) it was superb if you followed well.  The
stereo reflects the woodland echo of the goose's call - the effect quite
thrilling.

my best regards,

Marty Michener
MIST Software Associates PO Box 269, Hollis, NH 03049

EnjoyBirds.com  - Software that migrates with you.    http://www.EnjoyBirds.com