Re: Spaced Omni's for Stereo + MKH110?

Subject: Re: Spaced Omni's for Stereo + MKH110?
From: Rob Danielson <>
Date: Sun, 12 Jan 2003 15:26:05 -0600
Tom-- a  few comments are inserted.
Rob D.

>Hi all,
>
>I made a post a few weeks ago about a pair of DPA omni's I have just bough=
t,
>about whether they were well matched enough. Thank you for all your respon=
ses
>you have allayed all queries - time to get out there and put them into act=
ion.
>This post is one asking for the experience of those who have employed omni=
s in
>a stereo rig before.
>
>1. Spacing - how far apart (interested in whether you tend to used fixed
>spacing or need to change to suit the location + what results/artifacts ar=
>obtained with various different spacings)

I've used mkh 20's, akgs, mbho's and panasonic cap omni's. 19-23"
gave me the spread I was after though some people like more center
than I. Huge spreads, like 30 or more feet, can be interesting too.

>2. Angle - do you mount them forward firing or angled out (if so at
>what angle)
>and what are the different results obtained by using different angles.

My backpack rig has the omnis opposing 180 degrees so I point one mic
towards the source with the most interesting hi end content (always
better treble pick-up on axis, even with omnis it seems). Another rig
for the small panasonic capsules is made out of shelf hinge so I can
close the "V" to only a few inches or open it to 23". This one light
enough to clip on my coat collar, hat or a branch. As Klas has
pointed out, height from the ground usually enhances clarity.  A
little fake fur wrap around the cap heads helps alot with wind.

>3. Practical - what is the best way to mount them. Should it be a fixed
>mount/one with variable angles/lengths re. qq. 1+2. If it needs to be vari=
able
>does anyone have any suggestions for a setup based on a tripod and two ryc=
ote
>windshields for a stereo bar that might be attatched to a tripod with it's
>screw and then have slideable/angleable (easily used in the field and
>recallable if I like a particular setting for a particular location) mount=
>with the appropriate thread for rycote's. (the DPA bar besides being very
>expensive does not have the right threads and is designed for indoor
>use). I do
>not have access to a machine shop.
>Are there any other solutions that you might recommend?

Shock mounting is key if I'm going to be moving at all. Rented
Rycotes and was not that impressed.  Lots of posts in the archives
about poeple's mount designs.  I extended Rich Peet's 6" pvc pipe mic
mount design into a single "tube" that 23" long. (the tube part is
really cut away except for the ends suspending the mics). This 23"
holder is attached with foam spacers from the rails at the top of my
back pack. Fake fur covers both ends for wind protection. I can't use
the rig to record while walking, but I can twist and creep along with
very minimal handling noise.