Re: Spaced Omni's for Stereo + MKH110?

Subject: Re: Spaced Omni's for Stereo + MKH110?
From: "Rich Peet <>" <>
Date: Sun, 12 Jan 2003 19:43:22 -0000
Hello. I am back from vacation.

I will answer the second half of your question as the first half
would take a book.

The easiest way to power the MKH-110 is with a silicon diode in
series.  The diode will give you around a .75 volt drop and then you
can just use a 9 volt transister battery as the allowed range is 8 to
9 volts. It gives the added benefit of not having to worry what would
happen if the battery is connected backwards as well.  I run tantilum
caps across the power and in the signal within the connector at the
mic to keep the leads short before the caps.  And remember never
connect the shield of the mic cable to the case of the mic as it has
to float off of ground.

I can send you a diagram if you need one.

Rich Peet

--- In  Tom Thorley
<> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I made a post a few weeks ago about a pair of DPA omni's I have
just bought,
> about whether they were well matched enough. Thank you for all your
> you have allayed all queries - time to get out there and put them
into action.
> This post is one asking for the experience of those who have
employed omnis in
> a stereo rig before.
>
> 1. Spacing - how far apart (interested in whether you tend to used
fixed
> spacing or need to change to suit the location + what
results/artifacts are
> obtained with various different spacings)
>
> 2. Angle - do you mount them forward firing or angled out (if so at
what angle)
> and what are the different results obtained by using different
angles.

> 3. Practical - what is the best way to mount them. Should it be a
fixed
> mount/one with variable angles/lengths re. qq. 1+2. If it needs to
be variable
> does anyone have any suggestions for a setup based on a tripod and
two rycote
> windshields for a stereo bar that might be attatched to a tripod
with it's
> screw and then have slideable/angleable (easily used in the field
and
> recallable if I like a particular setting for a particular
location) mounts
> with the appropriate thread for rycote's. (the DPA bar besides
being very
> expensive does not have the right threads and is designed for
indoor use). I do
> not have access to a machine shop.
> Are there any other solutions that you might recommend?
>
> 4. Technique - My thoughts are to go for a spaced pair technique (I
alredy have
> a really nice binaural setup) are there any other techniques that
anyone feels
> I must try before settling on the spaced pair setup?
>
> I would be very grateful for any suggestions and eagerly await your
response's

> Lastly a brief one for Walter or anyone else with experience of the
Sennheiser