Re: Re: marsupial moles and minidisc/jukebox

Subject: Re: Re: marsupial moles and minidisc/jukebox
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Sun, 05 Jan 2003 22:19:39 -0500
Aaron Ximm wrote:

> The current USB-equipped "NetMD" recordings do not allow transfer of
> recordings digitally over USB.  I believe the Portadisc can transfer data
> over USB, thought at realtime ~ Walt's the expert there!

The Portadisc's USB is recognized by the mac as a audio device. It
transfers streaming audio at 1X, which has to be recorded in the
computer just like the other avenues. The Portadisc's USB is two way you
can record to it from the computer, again a digital audio stream. And of
course it's coax and optical connections are also digital audio streams.

So, it depends on what you mean by data. A digital audio stream is data,
just not in the form of some computer file format. It has no specific
length.

The digital transfers from the Portadisc are excellent, just not will
satisfy those in a rush.

I believe there have been some hacks of NetMD that allow digital
transfer. The problem is that NetMD is a copy protection setup, and
getting around the copy protection firmware is the problem. Even then I
think it was only with LP modes. Not much help there.