Re: Re: marsupial moles and minidisc/jukebox

Subject: Re: Re: marsupial moles and minidisc/jukebox
From: Aaron Ximm <>
Date: Sun, 5 Jan 2003 16:48:47 -0800 (PST)
> case, but I am considering trying the technology by buying a
> secondhand unit so I would want to know if this is a bad idea.

FWIW I have purchased used and refurbished units off eBay and not had any
problems.  I have "worn out" several decks over the years, but always in
obvious mechanical ways, never at the component/laser level.

> 2) can minidisc recordings easily be downloaded to PC and can they
> uncompressed for computer analyses?   I'm a bit confused by this, and
> would value your comments as to whether there are shortcomings in
> this are.

Obviously you can transfer them in the analog domain quite easily, but at
a penalty in fidelity. To get a MD recording onto a PC digitally requires
at minimum (a) a soundcard with a digital connector, either optical
TOSlink or coaxial SPDIF; and (b)  a MD deck with a digital output.
Currently no consumer portable MD recorders have digital output.  There
are some solutions that let you control your MD deck from the PC to
facilitate transfer, which is however limited to real-time.

The current USB-equipped "NetMD" recordings do not allow transfer of
recordings digitally over USB.  I believe the Portadisc can transfer data
over USB, thought at realtime ~ Walt's the expert there!

I use a custom hardware solution for "ripping" compressed files at
greater than realtime, but it's pricey and requires antique hardware.  The
files however arrive on your PC in their compressed form (to be
decompressed by softwae) ~ this facilitates "backing up" MD onto CDR
(about 5 to 1).

Btw I treat this subject in some detail on my site under the "gear I use"
link on my "links/resources" page, so I won't go into too much detail
here... :)  But you might find enough info there, and at www.minidisc.org;
the news section has listed several advances in the
PC-software-controlled-realtime-transfer arena in the past few months.

Best,

 aaron

  http://www.quietamerican.org

>From   Tue Mar  8 18:23:07 2005