Re: marsupial moles and minidisc/jukebox

Subject: Re: marsupial moles and minidisc/jukebox
From: "jbensh <>" <>
Date: Sun, 05 Jan 2003 14:55:33 -0000
Thanks for all that Walt.=20

You are correct about lots of rules at Uluru these days, but if you
saw the number of people that line up every single night to take
photos from the designated photo carpark, and file up the rockface,
you would appreciate why lots of rules are necessary (for them, not
us of course). Anangu (the local aboriginal people) call the
tourists 'minga', which otherwise means those tiny, numerous,
irritating ants that you may recall (like small, flightless biting
flies).  And yes the bitumen goes from Adelaide to darwin, and all
the way to the rock.  But if you wander off this I'm sure the place
hasn't changed that much from when you were last here.

As a frog enthusiast, you may be interested to hear we had 6 inches
of rain here in Alice about a month ago (summer here) and the place
went wild with frogs.  A few metres from our place is a flood
drainage ditch, that was just teaming with Litoria rubella,
Limnodynastes spenceri, and bleating Cyclorana maini.  I've not heard
such a rich chorus up here before, and it was fabulous...wish I had
my minidisc recorder then.

cheers and best wishes

joe