Re: Open sailingboat project

Subject: Re: Open sailingboat project
From: Dan Dugan <>
Date: Sun, 5 Jan 2003 13:17:23 -0800
Nick Gordon, you wrote,

>Al the cheaper mic's I used all gave a lot of selfnoise. Maybee I
>needed a pre-amp?  Looking for a mic with a low selfnoise of say
>16-20dB often resulted in phantom powered mic's and prices starting
>around $350 or so. And then: would I need a preamp?? The very few
>preamps I found that worked on AA batterys where way to expensive. A
>thousand dollar is not what I have in mind to spend on this. And would
>I really need it.
>For power i think Phantom power is no option. I need a low (<6V)
>voltage solution.

I'm happy with my pair of Shure 183 omni lav mikes, wired up for
plug-in-power by http://www.soundprofessionals.com. I don't see them
on their web site now, but I'm sure they can get them. The 183s have
an unusually high output which is effective for getting over my Sharp
MD recorder's preamp noise. The first pair I got was way off balance,
but they replaced it promptly. I made big windscreens from hardware
cloth (1/4" grid metal screen) as a frame, covered with furry fabric.

-Dan Dugan