RE: Advice on DPA/B+K stereo pair please!

Subject: RE: Advice on DPA/B+K stereo pair please!
From: Scott Petersen <>
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2002 11:12:44 -0800
Good mic choice Tom, and rest assured, you are better off with matched
performance than in trying to achieve the mythical ruler flat frequency
response.

First off, I believe that the smallest increment of frequency gain any
individual can hear is on the order of 3dB--unless you are Bob Ludwig
listening to $250K Eggleston works speakers in a custom multi(?) million
dollar room built just audio mastering, then it's like 1.5dB.  Secondly, it
is impossible to build a perfect transducer whether that is a mic or a
loudspeaker.  Music studio's and recording engineers have closets full of
microphones so that they have appropriate choices for the appropriate
conditions.  We all might love to only have a single mic for every purpose
but there are so many different purposes that it just is no possible.
Thirdly, I am not sure in what context you saw the ruler flat frequency
plots for other DPA mics, but you should know that all literature printed
are "normalized" or "idealized" frequency responses that are representative
of the line and type of mic.  Only when you have purchased and received a
mic from a reputable manufacturer do you get an individual frequency
response for the capsule you have purchased. /sarcasm mode on. Anyway, since
you took such a long time to make this choice and since you did choose such
exemplary microphones, you should be ashamed of having buyers remorse :)
/sarcasm mode off.

Just go out and record some things, you'll feel much better.