Re: Advice on DPA/B+K stereo pair please!

Subject: Re: Advice on DPA/B+K stereo pair please!
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Fri, 20 Dec 2002 13:48:01 -0500
evertveldhuis  wrote:
> --- In  Scott Petersen
> <> wrote:
>
>>Maybe with test signals...but how about a field recording or a
>>string quartet?
>>

> Hi,
>
> I have done that; listening to a fieldrecording that had a 3 dB level
> difference between the right and left; it was very obvious. Just
> listen to it with low levels; some will drop out of the spectrum, and
> some will clearly stand out. Just as simple as that.
> Maybe it helps to be a musician? 'cos I am, that might be the trick :)

There is a difference between judging thresholds and judging in the
middle of what is easy to hear. Can you hear the difference between
actual sound that's at 70 dB and 73 dB, for instance. One that has no
volume control to mess with.

I remember way back when I was a medical lab tech in the Army and gave
lots of hearing tests that most people could judge a threshold within a
couple dB, but not the difference between two normal level sounds to
near as close a distinction.