Re: Re: Intro and questions

Subject: Re: Re: Intro and questions
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Fri, 13 Dec 2002 23:46:31 -0500
Rich Peet  wrote:
> Well if you want to drop to lav specs then I will continue to
> recommend the $2.00 radioShack 270-092 which I still work with and
> like alot although I admit it is not high end.

When I built my homemade, I started with a lav I had. But it took a tiny
button battery that had to be put in by taking the mic apart. Awkward to
do out in the dark at a frog site.

I looked around at choices. The Sony lav ended up being the choice I
used for two reasons. It had a pretty full frequency range, something
that's not common in cheap mics and it would power from the walkman MD
without any separate battery. Though noisier than more expensive mics,
it was quiet enough to give me many good recordings.

There are many variations in lavs. There is no single lav spec.

> Regarding the Telinga circuits I defer to Klas.  I will not short
> circuit the creator.

Ah, so what you were really recommending is the Telinga mic and the
handle which contains the circuit board. Everything but the plastic
reflector? Should work fine, but not saving much over buying a complete
Telinga.