RE: CD Burn Rate

Subject: RE: CD Burn Rate
From: Paul Isaacs <>
Date: Wed, 4 Dec 2002 11:24:12 -0000
Heres my two pennies worth - seem to get a lot for my money!!

In general, best results for AUDIO CD are achieved by recording at 1x or 2x
speed on CDR media which is optimised for this speed.
The playback error rate (BLER - block error rate) is the most common
parameter measured to determine the quality of a disc.
However, this does not tell the whole story. The orange and red books list
at least another 20 parameter specifications which the measured disc must
meet. For example, Rtop (reflectivity), Beta, Asymmetry, I3/Itop, I11/Itop,
WNR, pit jitter, land jitter etc. In other words, it is a quite complex job
to fully assess the quality of a disc.
However, from my experience, there are three parameters which tell us most
about quality and compatibility - BLER, reflectivity and jitter. Jitter is a
measure of the accuracy of the pit and land lengths and can only be measured
correctly using a high-end CD analyser. A disc can often have a low BLER but
a high pit/land jitter which can result in compatibility and sound quality
problems. However, when jitter increases to a certain point, BLER will
suddenly increase. This is because, the CD decoder is unable to accurately
determine the length of a pit or land.
Many cheap blank CDR-s are optimised for high-speed burning as this is now
the main trend with computer burning. However burning these high speed discs
at 1x or 2x speed can produce appalling results. So it is essential that if
you are burning at low speed, make sure you have a disc which is optimised
for low speed.
In my opinion, best results for audio are achieved using either a standalone
1x audio CDR recorder and 1x optimised gold or silver media or a computer
burning at no more than 2x with 1x optimised gold or silver media. If in
doubt about your media specification, 4x burning will give acceptable
results.
Burning data discs is a different issue - high speed burning is more
acceptable; there is an extra layer of error correction which helps to
ensure reliability.

regards

Paul, HHB