RE: CD Burn Rate

Subject: RE: CD Burn Rate
From: Paul Isaacs <>
Date: Mon, 9 Dec 2002 12:04:51 -0000
>But the RF levels I'm getting with Mitsui Golds is only adequate, 10%
>less than I got in the golden age of 63- and 74-minute CDRs.

You only need be concerned about RF levels when they are very low.
>From my experience, if you have one disc with 70% relectivity and another
with 60% reflectivity, it does not follow that the quality of recording is
better on the higher reflectivity disc. I have found that reflectivity above
60% is more than adequate and ensures good compatibility . What is more
crucial is the ratio of the rf level coming from the shortest pit (3T) to
the rf level coming from the longest pit (11T). This should ideally be much
less than '1' otherwise the CD decoder can get confused and misinterpret the
length of pits.

This is just one aspect of the quality of a disc. Reflectivity might be
great, but problems can still occur - e.g. jitter

>Please Paul, can HHB provide a hotter 1x-4x CDR?

As already explained, hotter does not necessarily mean better. It is more
crucial that you get a good overall balance of parameter specifications.

best regards

Paul, HHB