Re: CD Burn Rate

Subject: Re: CD Burn Rate
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Wed, 04 Dec 2002 14:18:21 -0500
Paul Isaacs wrote:
> Heres my two pennies worth - seem to get a lot for my money!!

You do give value for money.

> In my opinion, best results for audio are achieved using either a standalone
> 1x audio CDR recorder and 1x optimised gold or silver media or a computer
> burning at no more than 2x with 1x optimised gold or silver media. If in
> doubt about your media specification, 4x burning will give acceptable
> results.

I would agree, except the flaw is that for most of us low speed
optimized disks are unavailable. I certainly have seen no disks
optimized for less than 8X in quite a while. The disks I'm using right
now are 16X. That's why I don't burn at 1X or 2X, and if the trend
continues even 4X may become a problem. At the moment 4X or 6X are
pretty close as far as I can tell. Though I don't have the high end test
equipment. That's not a lot of time to wait for a CD to burn and I don't
see a lot of reason to go faster.

I expect part of the problem is also the burners we have available. I
have a nice Yamaha I use now that only is rated up to 8X. And I still
have the 4X Yamaha I started with on another machine. In order to burn
faster they must be using a hotter laser. As well as the media being
lower temperature.

I kind of avoid the issue in that anything I really want to keep gets
put on optical. I do the CD's as well to have two media types, but
really depend on the optical disks to insure things. So far I've not had
any reliability issues with audio CD's. I hardly ever have a failure.
And have never, ever had a optical disk fail. It's going to be a bigger
problem if CD's manage to kill opticals.

>From   Tue Mar  8 18:23:01 2005
Message: 4