Re: Re: bird song

Subject: Re: Re: bird song
From: Dan Dugan <>
Date: Thu, 28 Nov 2002 11:41:12 -0800
>  > A cassette tape machine like the Sony TCM-5000EV can successfully
>>  replicate most bird song via its 3.5" speaker with output rated at
>>  700mW maximum.  A more powerful amplified speaker could be useful
>>  because it produces the same 700mW with less distortion.

WALT
>I will repeat, such output may sound the same in a room, or with your
>ear at the speaker, but will fall off much more rapidly in the outdoors
>than a natural call will. Try checking with a sound meter. Or going out
>and walking out for a couple hundred feet.

To compare sound levels they have to be measured at the same distance
in the same environment. I doubt that the output level of a
recorder's speaker is anywhere near as loud as a bird. It "sounds the
same" at one meter, but remember the bird is singing five meters from
you, not one meter, and sound level falls off by the inverse square
of the distance. At one meter the bird would be a lot louder! The
difference between one meter and five meters distance, for example is
14 dB.

-Dan Dugan

>From   Tue Mar  8 18:23:00 2005
Message: 13