Re: bird song

Subject: Re: bird song
From: "1GDW" <>
Date: Thu, 28 Nov 2002 15:49:55 -0000
--- In  Walter Knapp <> wrote:

> I stated the observation that placing a speaker outside playing
and then
> walking out to see how far it was reaching will show it's not
reaching
> very far.
>
> Part of this is that the energy projected by the speaker often has
very
> little to do with the watt rating. That's generally some form of
> measuring how much electricity is used. Often just the peak
instant, not
> sustained sound energy.
> (SNIP)

Walt,  Your explanations seem very plausible.  Thank you for your
input.  You mention that the old PA systems were more efficient at
projecting sound.  I remember being in the audience of those set ups
and would note that the sound had a different quality than today's
sound systems.  They would produce sound that was very load but it
was not pleasant to hear!
I hope this thread isn't interpreted as a tutorial for field
playback, my question was directed to possible changes in the sound
as it is reproduced.  Much attention is directed to making a digital
sample of the sound and very little is discussed about how we play
it back.
Gerald White
GDW_37@ yahoo.com