Re: bird song

Subject: Re: bird song
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Thu, 28 Nov 2002 14:43:59 -0500
1GDW wrote:

>  Walt,  Your explanations seem very plausible.  Thank you for your
> input.  You mention that the old PA systems were more efficient at
> projecting sound.  I remember being in the audience of those set ups
> and would note that the sound had a different quality than today's
> sound systems.  They would produce sound that was very load but it
> was not pleasant to hear!

Not all such systems were bad. In many cases the bad sounds were
actually either poor mics, or badly maintained speakers being
overdriven. It was possible to have really good sound back then.

Even the hifi systems would sound different. The changes in design of
speakers to handle power have changed the sound they produce. Not
necessarily better or more natural either. But we are pretty much used
to the modern sound. Though my main regular speakers in my living room I
built in the 60's out of some of the last of the old style speakers. I
play them in combo with a pair of magnaplan speakers. And I never crank
my modern amp up to full power, there would be nothing but speaker fuzz
in the room.

> I hope this thread isn't interpreted as a tutorial for field
> playback, my question was directed to possible changes in the sound
> as it is reproduced.  Much attention is directed to making a digital
> sample of the sound and very little is discussed about how we play
> it back.

If anything I view it as reminding folks of just how limited playback
really is.

I think most of the group use headphones when they want to carefully
listen to a recording. Lang has brought up some points on trying for
better stereo and surround fields with speakers.

The problems of playing sound with speakers or the quality of the
average person's playing system is why I don't get very excited about
going any more than stereo recording. Few even listen to stereo anything
like correctly.

I view playback as neutral, it's a tool. Tools can be very useful and
needed, and they can be misused. A lot of the negatives about playback
are due to assumptions that a course or two in animal behavior or animal
ethology would change. Or a bit more observation. There are times when
it is misused, particularly when separating tourists from their money is
involved...

As a tool it's well to understand playback and appropriate to discuss it
here.

>From   Tue Mar  8 18:23:00 2005
Message: 2