Re: consumer vs pro minidisc

Subject: Re: consumer vs pro minidisc
From: Aaron Ximm <>
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 2002 16:13:24 -0700 (PDT)
> Keeping in mind Im not trying to go from newbie to Dan Gibson with a sing=
le
> purchase, is there any real reason to feel consumer mini discs are
> inadequate? I would rather think that features such as the ability to set
> gain levels during recording and the quality of mics used would be more o=
f a
> factor to consider at this stage then some inherent deficiciency of the
> consumer grade minisdisc format.

Hi Tanya,

The format between pro- and consumer decks is identical.  The version of
ATRAC might not be, but all disks are playable on any deck regardless of
ATRAC.  (Incidentally the consumer decks will probably be a generation
*ahead* of the pro ones.)  Media are also identical.  I favor Sony ES
disks because you can write on their cases.  I know people who religiously
use hhb disks, 'just to be sure.'

I use consumer MD exclusively in my recording endeavors.  I've owned and
used about 8 or 10 decks over the years, and my experience can be
summarized thusly (in comparison to professional decks):

PROS:

Extremely low battery consumption. Very portable.  Very stealthy.  Very
inexpensive (as you get more serious, it's feasible to carry one or more
backup decks).  Biased towards use with 'idiot-proof' microphones (e.g.,
binaural style or single-point stereo mics with 1/8" stereo miniplugs,
decks supply 'plug-in' power).  Ubiquitous (you can buy them in the
strangest places in a pinch).  Low quality, low data-rate recording modes
if desired (never use them for 'real' recording though!).

CONS:

Relatively poor quality preamps (not 'clean' and slow slewing). Flimsy
design means limited life span for most decks (there are exceptions).
Biased towards use with 'idiot-proof' mics; decks must be adapted to
balanced connectors, do not provide phantom power of any kind. No
dial/pots for gain.  Most decks must be 'configured' to disable automatic
gain correction.  Possible data loss if TOC is not written because of
power loss.  Some decks (Sony) do not allow gain adjustment during
recording.

Things to look for in a contemporary consumer portable:

 - a microphone input (unless you will always be using outboard preamp(s))
     some recent models do NOT have mic inputs (e.g. Sony's sports model,
     and MZ-R505 etc.)
 - consider a deck that accepts AA drycells internally, rather
     than via a 'screw-on' external back.  The difference in size is
     negligible unless you must have the smallest/'coolest' looking deck,
     and this is one less thing to break/lose/become unreliable.
 - IMO Sharp decks sound better (presumably because of preamps or other
     pre-A/D analog components/design)
 - Sharp decks are better suited towards the field recordist, they allow
     gain adjustment during recording.

All these pro's for Sharp decks aside, the venerable Sony MZ-R50 deck is
often cited around the 'net as the 'best consumer portable ever made.'  I
would agree, having owned several and never had a single failure.  It's
got a titanium case, has a dedicated analog line out, has a very useful
jog dial on the front, and IMO 'sounds' better than any contemporary
deck I've used (including recent model Sonys)... but it does eat battery
much faster than current decks; it has a 'screw on' compartment;  it's not
nearly as small (relatively speaking)...  but it's often available on eBay
for < US$100 if you're tenacious.  I've gotten two for ~$75 there this
year.  The MZ-R37 is a second choice and can sometimes be found even
cheaper.  It *does* take dry cells internally, but the interface is not as
refined.

Best regards,

 aaron

  http://www.quietamerican.org