Re: consumer vs pro minidisc

Subject: Re: consumer vs pro minidisc
From: DeafinONEear <>
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2002 01:29:48 -0700
I think one aspect of the process that isn't really put into the forefront,
but should very well be, is your front end. Essentially, if you bypass the
pre's on a recorder, you are only using it as a converter. Converter
quality is going to be *very* similar across consumer and pro gear, so if
you have a nice front end feeding the line-in of an MD your going to do
extremely well. Recording into a consumer deck using portable preamps like
the Sound Devices MP-2 and those by Grace, paired with some decent mics,
are going to sound ten times better than running straight into a pro deck
like the HHB, which IMO doesn't have that great of pre's and is really
quite noisy (not to mention that in my testing of the unit, I myself, and
two others, had an MD's contents destroyed by a software crash).

And rack another vote up for Sharp!

(=BA=B7.=B8(=A8*=B7.=B8 =B8.=B7*=A8)=B8.=B7=BA)
=AB.=B7 =B0 =B7.  ZacH .=B7 =B0 =B7.=BB
(=B8.=B7=BA(=B8.=B7=A8* *=A8=B7.=B8)=BA=B7.=B8)